Our Mission Statement...

Our Mission Statement...

We will be discussing the various ways technology in the form of social media and other online capacities can be used in the elementary and secondary classroom. Our aim is to explore how using these methods in the classroom can allow for a new emerging relationship between teachers and students. A relationship based on the collaborative gathering of information and community building. We will be looking at our own areas of interest and how new technologies can be incorporated into our own teaching methodologies and how learning theories apply to online learning. We hope that you find the information contained within this blog useful and helpful in creating strategic approaches to effective implementation of online learning. Our goal is to also share and discuss the opportunities and challenges we might face in using current technologies in learning and while expliring future opportunities and areas of growth.

Join us on our journey aboard the S.S. BRC!!

Created by: Bavina, Candida, Roshni, Safia and Sasha - May 2012

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Using the Confusometer

Hello Everyone,

A few weeks ago, I was reading the Toronto Star online during one of my planning times.  Yes, I can admit that reading the paper is a guilty pleasure when my students have left the class for music.  Aside from all of the usual headlines of despair and horror, I came across an article regarding a new technology being used in a classroom at the University of Toronto.  The "Confusometer" is an app developed by a professor at the University.  Basically, it allows students to relay their understanding of the material being covered in a lecture in a discreet and anonymous way.  Instead of students being intimidated and worried about raising their hands, they can quietly indicate their level of comfort with the topic being explained.  What I found really interesting was that as the professor goes back and explains the topic again, the students have an option to click an "Understood" button. 

Obviously, the implications are far-reaching.  As an elementary teacher, I admit that sometimes rely on questions from students while I am teaching a lesson.  Being able to have this sort of real-time information would be very beneficial when I teach my lessons; I could change the way I explain concepts or even re-teach the material if required.  Some students just are not comfortable to ask a question, for fear of being labelled "stupid" or "dumb".  Of course a drawback is that if a particular student continues to have difficulty, I would have to work with them one-on-one to assist them further.  Yet, on the whole I think that this app would be a very worthy online technology tool that could be used in the classroom (and also in a variety of other educational settings).

The new app already seems to be getting some interest, with professors at Harvard and Stanford (along with a host of others) asking for more information.  Apparently the app will be released to the public sometime later this year, and I can only imagine that the demand and interest for it will be high. 

I mean, if I am interested, I can only imagine how the professors at other universities feel!

For more information, you can read The Toronto Star article here:
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1173277--don-t-get-what-the-prof-s-talking-about-there-s-an-app-for-that

And of course, here is the website for the app itself:
http://understoodit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment